Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Jill the Sheepdog

We have a new addition to our house.  Her name is Jill she is a 2 year old Border Collie.  She came to live with us on April 23rd and she is fitting in really well.  She has been very nicely trained and is clearly a very talented dog.
She has never lived in a house before and this is interesting and challenging at the same time.  It is difficult to stay in house training mode, when visually you see an adult dog.  She is currently laying at my feet with a leash and collar on, so that I don't let her slip out of my sight.  It was quite funny to watch her navigate stairs and be fascinated with the t.v.  She is getting along well with all the other dogs and much to Gali's delight, played with him this morning.
I have worked with her 6 or 7 times now and things are going along nicely.  She is very biddable and doesn't take the stop command as a punishment.  I had two days of lessons with Calvin Jones, he explained what to do with her for the next 3 or weeks, so that we can start to build a relationship without putting Jill in a situation she is not use to.
I have entered her in a trial in Indiana at the end of June, we also have a trial at Shepherd's Crook in July and a shedding clinic with Michael Gallagher.  So we will be quite busy.
This should be fun learning experience.
I must go and practice my whistles!

No comments:

Post a Comment