Friday, April 16, 2010

Training what training

I thought that running your own school would mean that I would have lots of time to train my own dogs and have a facility to do it in. I am discovering more and more that having your own school actually means that you have to take care of business first and then if you aren't too tired or if your to do list isn't too long you can spend some time with your own dogs. Lately what I do with my free time is to take the dogs on walks or swimming. It is fun to spend time with them and it also is a stress reliever for me. I have been make a conscious effort to train my dogs on a regular schedule. Gali is getting ready for Utility in the fall, so I have lots to work on there. Ribbon is learning all her foundation skills and my first goal with her is to have her ready for rally at the border collie specialty in October, which I don't think will be a problem. What I have learned from getting back into the groove is why I do this in the first place. I REALLY enjoy training my dogs. I learn something from them each time. My relationship with my dogs gives me something to be proud of. My achievements with my dogs gives me something to celebrate. My mind never stops taking in the information the dogs are telling me. Does he understand this? Are we ready for matches? What is my next step?

So I guess that having your own school has its perks, I just have to remember not to miss out on them and keep doing the things that got me here in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. For me, a big part of feeling successful when competing is having a great relationship with my dog. So to me, the swims and the walks are as much a part of training as the actual, hands on stuff. At least that's how I'm justifying it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! When i ran my school full-time and did behaviour therapy i never worked with my dogs on my own - after working with other people's dogs i did not relish coming home and working with my own.

    Going part-time was a good thing for me because i now work with my dogs far more regularly, maybe not enough, but at least regularly!

    ReplyDelete