Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The things you never stop working on (part two)

Attitude---- I am sure this is not a shock to anyone reading this blog, but your attitude will be mirrored by your dog.  I can remember once showing Megan when I had a really bad cold, I felt like crap and Megan was there to share in the misery.  We got through our weekend of showing, but more than a few people commented on how "down" Megan was.  However, my next statement might come as a shock to anyone reading this blog... Have you tried spending one whole week and not training with food or toys??!!  It is a great way to discover how to motivate your dog with your energy and enthusiasm. When practicing heeling I will zig and zag and make weird noises and move in unpredictable patterns.  I am not worrying about footwork I am only looking for ears up, eyes wide open, interested look on my dog's face.  Skipping is another thing to try.  Playing hide-n-seek is a great way to play with your dog.  Right now Ribbon has to find me after retrieves.  She loves it, she flies out to pick up her dumbbell or article and then turns back growling,  trying to find me.  I might only be hiding behind a chair or in the bathroom and when she finds me we play a game of chase.  Hell, this is the only exercise I get!!  Releasing from exercises is a great time to develop interaction and attitude building.  Play with your dog physically for a few seconds.  Get a hold of the hair on the side of their neck and rough house with them.  Mimic how another dog would hang onto your dog when playing, let go and take off running. 
I am curious to see if you will try it and if you do let me know what you came up with. 
Happy no food training!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment