Thursday, August 11, 2011

Getting ready for the fall


 

I am ready to get back at it. I have Gali entered in two trials before the arrival of my relatives from England. I am excited to be going back into the ring again. Gali has been working REALLY well. I have done several run throughs over the last few weeks and he aced them all. I have also been doing regular short training sessions to keep his heeling, fronts and finishes crisp. The thing that I am particularly impressed with is that at the end of each training session Gali doesn't want to leave the training hall. He wants to do more. That is a nice feeling for me, but I have to find a way to end my training session and not have Gali sulk all the way back up to the house.

After spending the summer re-working my go-outs and directed jumping I feel like we are ready to go for it. The plan is to trial during the fall and finish off the OTCH title. If Gali is still working well then I plan to put him in for OTCHX/MOTCH and see how far we get before the end of the year. In the spring I plan to get Ribbon ready for her CD and give Gali some time off, so it will be an interesting run to the end of the year.

Lately we have doing quite a bit of videotaping of runs and then reviewing them during class. I love it when people see their dog on video for the first time. There is a big difference between how the dog feels and what the dog looks like from the judge's point of view. Because I always get this view, it gives me great pleasure when the handler says, "hey he looks really good!"

Happy Training

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see Gali back in the ring - always so nice to see your and your dogs working. I just love your "no-need-to-panic" approach. Figure out a new approach and keep moving forward :)

    ReplyDelete