Friday, April 27, 2012

Cracks are starting to show

In my session yesterday with Gali, everything went along swimmingly until I got to the directed jumping section. The jumps were at 14 feet and when I signaled him to go over the bar jump on the left, he jumped forward and froze in a standing position. I re-did the signal again, he didn't move, on the third time he went to the jump and leapt over it. I moved on through my sequence and when I came back to bar on the left, he froze again. I was being conscious of how long I was holding my signal. I wanted to drop my arm as soon as he committed to the proper direction. I am not sure if this had anything to do with it, but it only occurred if the bar-jump was on the left. My go outs were fine, but I could see that Gali was getting tired, so I only did two of four walls. Random sits were much better, I think he only dropped once or twice.

Today I am going to start with go-outs, then move to directed jumping, then random sits, then go outs again and if I can one more set of directed jumping. He has only been on one walk so far today, so he should have lots of energy.

On another topic, Ribbon is doing these drills too. I thought I might as well since they were already set up and it is a nice mix with the heeling drills I have been doing with her. She is entered at the end of May. Of course because she is entered she now dumping all of her lovely coat. I am sure by the trial I will have a smooth border collie!

No comments:

Post a Comment