Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Getting ready for Hamburg and other things

It feels odd to be thinking about trialling again, but we are entered in Hamburg, NY for four days starting on Jan 09th.  It feels weird to be thinking about showing on a WEDNESDAY... I wonder what the vibe will be like?  Will it be quiet like we are all playing hooky and don't want to get caught or will it feel like a vacation day?

We had our Christmas party at the training hall on Saturday and it was really fun.  Loved spending time with the people I have gotten to know over the years and only get to see for a hour or so each week.  Now we are starting to decorate the house and get ready for Aydon's birthday party.  At some point I should start Christmas shopping?!?! So in the middle of all of this I am organizing my training plan to get Ribbon ready for her American CD. We are entered four days in a row, so I am hoping that she can complete her Novice title and then I can move her up to Open for the last day.  I know she will enjoy doing her open work and it will be a nice change from three days of novice.  And why waste one trip in  the ring to a forth novice leg when she could easily get her first Open leg?

My plan includes:
Spontaneous games while heeling to increase attitude and duration
Turn work with a few of my pylon drills.  These also build teamwork
Games for finishes - this is one area that I would like to improve on with Ribbon, her finishes are adequate - she is brisk and accurate, but I want her be quick and accurate!
Recalls, I want to make sure she doesn't drop on her Novice recall.  With the bigger ring size in AKC I can practice some really long recalls and have some fun with her.

Ribbon has decided to dump all of her coat, so she won't be very fluffy, but she will always but cute and fun to work with.

Other things that are going on include:
Day of Drills - I have organized three dates (two of which are already full) to concentrate on games along with proofing and distractions. I am tailor making the day's plan based on what people tell me they want to work on, so we should get a large variety of things to work on.  One day in Novice and Open, the second day is Novice and Utility and the third day is going to cover all levels.  This last date is in February and is the only one with space in it.
Belleville seminar - This is Feb 2/3.  I think this is my forth year visiting this club and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.  I believe we are doing run throughs the first day and I am going to critique handling and then build the content for Sunday based on Saturday.  Should be A LOT of fun!
HDOC/LOC Trials - These will be Ribbon's first trials of the year at the Open level.  Our plan is to trial one weekend every month, while we get ready to do utility, hopefully in the fall of 2013.
New edition of Rally On - I am almost done this version of my rally book.  I am looking towards a March publishing deadline.  This book will include CKC and AKC.  This first edition was published before CKC rally even existed.  Can't wait to see it in print - always exciting!

After that it will be spring and maybe I can get to some herding trials with Maddie!!
Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment