Thursday, December 27, 2012

Holiday training

Today was day one of four days in a row of training that I have planned.  After Christmas and all the holiday eating and sitting around, it was hard to get going, but Ribbon was pretty keen so once we started it was really fun.  We started with articles - which are completely loose!!! I always find that stage rewarding and exciting - she is a big girl now!! She made one mistake, but she did bring back the last number I had scented, so understandable that she would be interested in that.  Other than than, she was terrific!! Growled and bombed back to me with her metal article - made me laugh out loud! We practiced heeling, fronts, finishes (which are coming along great, nice lift out of the front position and tonnes of attitude).  I did some open stuff (retrieves and broad jump).  For heeling games I have been teaching a weave walk, which I have never bothered to do before, but because Ribbon is little I thought I would try it.  She seems to find it fun, but I need to speed it up so that I can keep walking while she does it. Currently I have to pause as she is doing it.  I am also teaching her to drive upwards on her about turns.  I was thinking about how I can improve this turn, as it starts to get a little loose from time to time. So I have decided to teach Ribbon that on her about turn head cue that she may be asked to jump up as she drives around me.  It is going quite well.

My only problem is that my right knee is really bothering me and I am finding that my handling is suffering.  I feel like I am drifting into my dog all the time.  Tomorrow I am going to take Advil before training and see if that helps.  I would also like to video tape tomorrow's training session.


No comments:

Post a Comment