Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bring it on!

Two days to go until Ribbon makes her debut in Novice. She has been working really well and I am so excited to see how she does!!! It is always so fun to show a new dog for the first time. She is entered four times on the weekend. The judging panel is really good, so it will be interesting!

Gali trials in three days, he is doing utility on Sunday (Rally on Saturday). I have him in both trials for utility. I am feeling really confident about showing him this weekend. He has been training beautifully at home.

Here is the update on his eyes. I took him on Tuesday morning and he had some extensive tests. The verdict is that he has iris atrophy (the muscles that dilate and constrict his pupils aren't working as well as they use to) which makes him sensitive to light, plus he does have cataracts in both eyes. The Dr. could see to the back of both eyes. He felt that he didn't have any blind spots but in the center of his eye it would be like looking through the windscreen of your car if it was covered in Vaseline. He sees better at the outer rim of his eyes.

I explained to him what Gali does in obedience and he gave me some tips to help him manage the signals and directed jumping better including wearing contrasting clothing (which other people suggested too). Making the signal a little more methodical will give Gali more time to see it and for his brain to process what it is. The best news is that Dr. Whelan said that "there is no medical reason for him not to compete." – Music to my ears!!!

I have a plan for some black and white clothing for Gali's trials. I trained in the outfit I am going to wear (while his eyes were still under the influence of the drops) and he had no problems at all. I am also going to change into the blouse when I do the match tomorrow to give him another opportunity to get use to the lighting and become accustom to how things will look on Sunday.

Swansea here we come!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Marie, Gali and Ribbon!! Swansea is always such a great venue for you, I know you will do great!! Wonderful news about Gali's eye tests :)

    ReplyDelete