Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Putting it back together

Yesterday I started to put my other utility exercises back into the mix. But because I still wanted to concentrate on my directed jumping I did that exercise after each of the other exercises. I had the hall set up differently. I had two side- by- side utility ring set ups. One ring had the bar on the left and the other had the high jump on the left. I moved from ring to ring doing exercises in combination. It went something like this:

  1. Articles, directed jumping (including go-outs)
  2. Directed jumping (rewarded some lovely turn and sits on a dime), Signals
  3. Moving Stand, directed jumping (big reward at the end)
  4. Directed Jumping, Signals
  5. Signals and Seek Back

He did really well at everything!! So that is good news. I am still giving a signal only for the jumps and I have to admit that it was hard to keep my mouth shut; I wanted to go back to my old ways as soon as the exercise was back in context.

Today my plan is play around with front, finishes and heeling ('cause he loves those). Also I want to do articles and directed jumping and in another set do signals and directed jumping. I am concerned that once signals are put together he may think about the signal recall during directed jumping. But I also have a fun proofing drill to help with this situation, so that can go on tomorrow's agenda.


 

Thinking positive!!! Happy Training!!

2 comments:

  1. Think positive...words to live by! I've been training Emma on signal only directed jumping, too. Great minds, and all that, right? My thought was that it would make the verbal command that I will add in when I trial, really powerful. I'm trying something new and daring - no Utility training for Emma this week, until Friday's match. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Guess we'll know when we know!
    We're so blessed to have such wonderful dogs, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I missed both of your runs!!! I really wanted to see you in action!!! When are you in again??

    ReplyDelete