Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Next Step

At Gali's vet visit, she said that he had cataracts in both eyes. I'm not shocked by this, but it still wasn't the news I was hoping for. My next step is take him to an ophthalmologist, his appointment is on Tuesday. I am hoping to find out how much vision he actually has, is it safe for him to be jumping and how the cataracts progress. I have never had a dog with cataracts before, so I have lots to learn. The timing of the appointment is good because on the 27th of May Gali is entered in utility trials. Of course I will pull if the ophthalmologist says he shouldn't be jumping. Knowing that Gali has an eye issue, certainly explains a lot of what has been happening.

My theory is that because our utility trials were so spread out, due to my family situation in last few years. I didn't equate our failures in utility to a health issue, but thought it was a training issue. When I buckled down getting ready for his last trial, over the course of those 11 days there couldn't have been much change in his vision, so I think he adapted to my directed jumping cues. So my plan for getting ready for these trials is to do the same things and also include more signal work in addition to directed jumping.

There is a match the night before the trial and I am going to concentrate on those two exercises to give him an opportunity to become accustom to the lighting. And as always I want him to have fun and feel confident going into the ring.

This Monday we are in a rally trial, and also on the Saturday of next weekend. It will be good to get into the ring to do something different together. Gali and I always enjoy doing rally together!

Ribbon is also entered in the trials on the 26/27th. This will be her debut in Novice. I am really excited about it! We have been working hard on duration exercises and moving between exercises. I think the hardest part about having a new trialling partner is knowing best to warm them up and how to make the most of your time between exercises in the ring. With Ribbon I have been doing a combination of playing with her or heeling between set up points but giving her lots of verbal interaction and both seem to work well. I have a few different games I can play with, so I think I can keep her on track. I have also been working on front, finishes and sit for heeling (when don't you????). Of course because I entered the trial Ribbon has dumped most of her coat, so she is not her fluffy self, but still cute nonetheless.

Lots to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment